Sunday, June 28, 2009

Contoocook River, NH




I spent a couple of hours fishing the Contoocook River between Hillsboro and Henniker NH this evening. It was overcast when I waded into the river and started to rain just enough to get wet once I got situated. By the looks of the riverbank, the water was about 18" over normal conditions, due to all the rain we have had this June. I fished a 7wt sinking tip WF line on a 5wt Orvis Trident TL rod. It actually did real well! I wanted to stick with streamers. Caught a smallie right off. The next two fish were nice rainbows, both fell for a size 4 black ghost streamer, which i tied myself. The water temp was 68 degrees. Tough handling a camera, standing in the middle of the river in the rain with a fish on...

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture of fish and streamers! Glad you helped him get that nasty fighting fly out of his lip! I'm sure he appreciated it!
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL over Dans comment, sounds like he's been hanging out with the PETA folks too long.

    That is a GREAT pic though, John!

    -Paul

    ReplyDelete