Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Long Lake, Maine

Spent this last week in a exceptionally nice cabin, vacationing on Maine's Long Lake. Our rental was on Bells Point in North Bridgton. Its on the northwestern tip of the lake. I'll have to admit that the middle of August is a great time for a family vacation. As for a fishing trip...it makes for a great boat ride, thats about it. 50-60 feet deep is max for this body of water. We marked a number of fish at 20/25 feet with large pods of bait fish but never came up with anything other than a few small white perch. We trolled a number of baits at a number of depths and as I said ended up with just a boat ride. 

My 3 year old granddaughter caught her first fish on a rod and reel. Was she ever excited! We practiced good catch and release techniques and a sea gull promptly swooped down a scooped up a nice perch dinner.

We did see something odd. Most of the week there were a number of loons rafting over the deep part of the lake. The most I counted were 12 with 6-8 being the norm. They were there every evening we were out. Dont recall ever seeing that many together in one spot.

I made a trip to Naples Bait & Tackle on Rt 35 just before you cross the new causeway in Naples. The owner assured me that the fish I was marking would be Browns and Salmon. Again apparently August is not a good time for either. I picked up few streamers tyed by him. A Sango Smelt and one of my favorites, the Black Ghost, both tandems and both tyed very sparse, which I like. I later realised the stern paddle river boat there tours the lake based out of Naples is named the Sango River Queen. I think we may have to try Sabago next time around.                

No comments:

Post a Comment