Friday, February 3, 2012

First Susquehanna Muskellunge and Company



Heres my Grandfathers Musky as published in the "Grit" the local newspaper of Williamsport Pa, my hometown. PopPop's fish was 35" long and weighed 10 pounds. Love his rubber gloves ... According to James Laurer,the Lycoming County Fish Warden, at the time, this was the first Muskellunge to be taken in this section of the Susquehanna River. The date was July 9 1969. I still have the head on my wall. Its always scared the hell out of the kids! This river has developed into one of the finest Muskellunge fisheries on the east coast. Musky are noted as the fish of 1000 casts. I fished hard with Musky Pete, a good friend from western Mass, in Pontoosuc Lake for this elusive fish. The 27 pound Mass state record Tiger Musky ( a cross between a Northern Pike and a Musky) was taken in 2001 from this body of water while ice fishing. Pete and I had been fishing in the same area the week before. The fishermans moto-you should have been here yesterday. Believe me we exceeded the 1000 cast rule on that lake, never connecting with one. Thats me on the right with the 10 pound 35" Northern Pike that Pete and I trolling up from Pontoosuc, my largest Northern to date. I remember that day well. We actually had to push the 12' aluminum boat out across 20' of shore line ice before we got to open water. One foot on the ice, one foot in the boat. I have yet to catch a Musky, nor have I fished my hometowns Susquehanna River, although its on my bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment